Thursday, January 22, 2015

Being Honest: An Apology and Pledge

GCR Chief Executive Officer U. Ken Brewett
U. Ken Brewett, CEO
Since I opened my first small coffee supply store thirty years ago, integrity and quality have been the cornerstones of my business. I built Global Coffee Retailer on responsible business practices, top-quality products, and fair dealings with suppliers, employees, and shareholders. Now, in light of our recent discovery that some of our premium roasted coffee beans are being purchased from suppliers not in compliance with the fair trade practices GCR has prized, I apologize on behalf of the company and pledge to rectify our oversight and to ensure that such mistakes are not made again. We reaffirm our commitment to the principles on which Global Coffee Retailer was founded with our #beanhonest hashtag and communications initiative.

Problem

We at Global Coffee Retailer have long been a champion of the free trade movement, purchasing our fresh coffee beans from fair trade-certified (FTC) growers long before our competitors began to follow our lead. Five years ago, GCR became the first American coffee retailer to source 100% of its beans directly from FTC farmers. It has recently been revealed that a breakdown in both supply chain management and internal company operations has permitted a percentage of our coffee beans to be purchased from suppliers without the fair trade certification we have long striven to maintain.

While I believe this to be the result of an unfortunate and temporary lapse in oversight, I have nonetheless resolved to ensure that the company returns to its core principles of integrity, corporate responsibility, and accountability.

Plan of action

Global Coffee Retailer is taking decisive action to correct past missteps, reaffirm our commitment to fair trade practices, and uphold the high expectations of our customers, shareholders, and employees. Individuals with the company responsible for dealings not in line with our corporate philosophy have resigned or been let go, and further steps are being taken to ensure that future lapses do not occur.

            Apology

In keeping with my lifelong commitment to honesty, integrity, and accountability, I offer my heartfelt apology to GCR’s customers, business partners, employees, and shareholders for the company’s lapse in judgment with regard to its supply chain.

            Pledge

Company executives are acting to redouble efforts to ensure that both suppliers and internal operations are held to high standards for product quality and ethical business practices alike, with focus on the following aspects of our operations:

·      Fair trade agreements
·      Sustainability initiatives
·      Product quality assurance
·      Transparency reporting

Once again, I am saddened to announce the temporary breakdown in Global Coffee Retailer’s supply chain ethics but pleased to reaffirm our commitment to accountability, sustainability, and ethical business practices. To our valued customers, suppliers, employees, and shareholders, I apologize for this oversight and am grateful for your continued trust in our fine company.


–U. Ken Brewett, Global Coffee Retailer’s founder and CEO



No comments:

Post a Comment